News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Match Report: Hebburn Town vs Dunston

Match Report: Hebburn Town vs Dunston

William Jeffries27 Mar - 17:36
Share via

By Dan Carlton

Amar Purewal and Dean Briggs both bagged braces for the Hornets on Tuesday night, as they romped to a 4-0 victory over local rivals Dunston at the Sportsy - stretching their winning streak to six matches and five without conceding.
Dunston started the better of the two teams, looking to ruffle any feathers in a confident, free-flowing home side.
A long throw inside the first 30 seconds looked to cause chaos for the Hornets defence, but Kieran Hunter was able to claim the ball without any threat.
Hebburn knew they would be in for a tough ninety minutes and finally started to settle soon after.
The opening goal came in the eleventh minute, and it was none other than Purewal, who else?!
A floating ball from Liam Noble evaded the Dunston defence and found Purewal on the edge of the box and with defender Aaron Stevens doing his best to narrow the angle on goal, the league’s top goal scorer was able to calmly bring the ball down, round the onrushing ‘keeper and slot the ball into the far left corner from a tight angle, bringing his scoring tally to twenty-two for the campaign.
The game was end-to-end and there was a feel of real intensity as both sides knew just how important the three points would be.
The Hornets created another chance just before the half hour mark and it came from a Dunston corner. A long clearance found Purewal breaking away on the right as he squared the ball to Briggs who only had the goalkeeper to beat for 2-0, but he took too long to strike the ball and his shot was blocked by the Dunston defender.
The first booking of the night went to the visitors as Dale Pearson received a yellow card for a high challenge on Aidan Heywood.
Hebburn pressure continued, and Jack Donaghy saw his audacious attempt to lob Stevens go just wide of the post and out for a goal-kick.
Donaghy was then handed a yellow card for a challenge moments later.
Dunston were forced into a substitution eight minutes before the first half was up, as Jack Swailes could not continue following a hamstring pull at a corner and was replaced by JJ Crisp.
More cautions were dished out as Joe Walton lashed out at the referee following a strong challenge from David Robinson. Robinson and Walton both received bookings for their actions.
Hebburn went into the break ahead after a feisty first forty-five!
Not long after the restart, the hosts were awarded a penalty as Jack Walker, who seemed to be struggling from minute one, was penalised for a foul on Briggs just inside the area. Purewal stepped up and fired his penalty into the top left of the goal, with Stevens diving the other way! A deserved two-goal advantage for Daniel Moore’s men.
A half chance for the visitors came moments later as Pearson dragged his effort wide of Hunter’s goal. Most predicted a red card would be shown due to plenty at stake and they were proved right. Dunston’s Robinson was given his marching orders after a high challenge on Dan Groves in the Hebburn half was deemed a second bookable offence.
An astonishing eight bookings were shown in just over an hour of football. A tasty game for the neutral!
Briggs netted the Hornets third and his first of the night in the 65th minute. The winger cut inside onto his right-foot and his curling effort seemed to catch the goalkeeper out as Stevens made a blunder and let the ball slip under his body to send Hebburn well on their way to another three points in their promotion push.
Moore made his first change just after the goal and decided to take off his main goal scorer Purewal once the game was all but done, as Olly Martin came on to lead the line for the final twenty-two minutes. Dunston opted for their second change of the evening as former Hornets player Wayne Phillips entered the pitch replacing Richard Coulson.
Moore then made his final two changes with 10 minutes remaining, as Walton and Arron Thompson were replaced by Liam Murray and Leo Robinson.
The visitors final change came in the 81st minute, as Jordan Lamb replaced the tired Pearson.
The clock ticked to ninety and the referee announced that there would be five minutes of added time.
Martin broke away from the Dunston backline and found himself one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but blood rushed to his head, as he went for the spectacular chip, but was unsuccessful as he sent the ball well over the crossbar.
Hebburn added insult to injury in the dying seconds as Briggs’ stunning half-volley topped off a fantastic night for the Hornets.
Hebburn now sit 2nd on 63 points, with a game in hand on runaway leaders Stockton Town.
Dunston stay 3rd on 58 points, and have games in hand on the teams above them in the league.

Match Attendance: 517

Man of the Match: Amar Purewal

Further reading